To start from something less challenging, why not try flower buds and tree mushrooms. This light consommé (金針木耳滾魚湯) is fish based but you can substitute fish with stir-fried shiitake to make it veg(etari)an.
Here how you go about fixing it. It is really done before you can say Jack Robinson.
- Soak a handful of dried daylily buds (金針) and a handful of black fungus (木耳) half an hour in advance.
- Cut a couple of large tomatoes into large wedges.
- Slice a 3-inch piece of fresh ginger and fry it lightly in cooking oil.
- Add a medium sized fish, e.g., sea brim (or shiitake for veg(etari)ans) to the oil and fry it until done.
- While it is frying, bring to boil a pot of water (2-3 litres).
- Shred the soaked black fungus and drain the daylily buds.
- Add the fish (or shiitake), fungus, buds, tomatoes and ginger to the boiling water.
- Season with fish sauce or soya sauce for veg(etari)ans and a dash of ground white pepper.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.