Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Gol gavzaban: borage flowers tea (گل گاوزبان)

Now this is a nicely odd tea: gentle blue and tasting like cucumbers. Gol gavzaban or borage is mostly used as a savoury herb in the South of France. Iranians, an ancient and sophisticated nation that they are, pick just the flowers and make tea out of them. They claim it has health benefits but I think they drink mostly because it is so bizarre and when you have a few millennia of tea-drinking behind you, you need something like this to get past your excitement threshold and get the kick.

7 comments:

  1. actually what is consumed in Iran is not borage, it's called "Echium amoenum". it is different from European Borage.
    whenever my sleep cycle got disturbed I use this "tea".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it good for your sleep cycle then? I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. it's relaxing! it's really great. It has multiple qualities. Here is some info on the capsules though the tea should be godo enough and more enjoyable: http://www.raysahelian.com/borage.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to get some more of this, the last week a friend of mine brought me some, and the true is that really work, and in a real good and healthy way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ONCE I went on vacations and I saw some flowers like this one, and I DIDN'T know what it was, now I know that it is an amazing flower with multiples qualities..this is a great blog thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boil the water, and place a pinch,20 or so flowers to 2 cups of water, in the boiing water, and turn off the flame. Steep for 20 minutes, strain and serve with lemon and sugar to taste.I add Jamaica, hibiscus flowers, to the gol gavzaban for added benefit when I first brew the tea.I use about a teaspoon or so.this tea is a beautiful crimson color.

    ReplyDelete